Breast Cancer Awareness

Numbness turned to inaction turned to decision. I got an email from someone I went to Uni with. Our professor was diagnosed with breast cancer. She taught two classes included our Masters Thesis class. Turns out, this is her third bout with cancer. There is talk in the wind of a mastectomy or possibly a double mastectomy later this month.


When I first got the email, I blocked it out for.... I think two weeks or so. I just felt numb. So many people I know and love ended up with cancer. Some survived. Some did not. It was overwhelming to think..."oh, no. not again." Then I thought about how my professor has to cope. She has a full time job as an assistant principal (soon to be a principal - new job in October), teaches graduate students, and takes care of her mother. Talk about overwhelming.


I can't imagine what it would be like to actually have cancer and have to cope. It's always been someone else. I cope at a distance. Try to say the right things. Try to keep a chin up. Try to just "be there" when my family and friends need me.


One of my classmates decided to get a team together for the Breast Cancer Walk this fall. The team is made up of the professors ex-students. Even with my bad knees, I've decided to do it. She is a cool lady and it's the least we can do. Yes, I'll have my knee braces on. Yes, I'll have new shoes. Yes, I'll use two walking sticks (my orthopaedic surgeon said TWO!!! and gave me that look. LOL)


The date is October 27th at Cooper River Park in Pennsauken, NJ
If you would like to donate to our team "TEAM MITCHELL" this is the place to do so. We are going to try to raise $2000. Any little bit will help.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pluto starting new All Godzilla Channel

Ishi: The Last Yahi

Suicidal Angels - All Your Thrash Metal Needs are Right Here